Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It's like giving birth.

Ok, so I know it's not EXACTLY like giving birth...but those of you who've had kids you've gotta know what I'm talking about. After all the pain and effort you go through when you're in labor once you see the baby you forget about it all and relish in your new accomplishment. I feel the same way about this marathon. When I was going through it I thought to myself a couple times, "Do I REALLY want to do this again?" But, after I crossed the finish line and now that my legs aren't aching I'm TOTALLY thinking about which marathon I'm going to run next. I have a couple of Half Marathons I've been looking at for this year. My next full marathon won't happen for a year or so, but I keep thinking about all the fun medals I can get running. I know I'll never place in my age group or win any races, but I can get medals by running these awesome distances. :)

My legs are feeling good today. My feet feel great. Oooh, I forgot to write it, but how nuts is this...you know how most people get black toe nails and blisters and all that jazz when they run marathons? Well, when I got done with mine, I took off my socks and my feet looked amazing! I don't know if it was running that long in my wet socks and them exfoliating my feet or what, but my feet have NEVER been softer. It's crazy! Who woulda guessed that my feet would be better after the marathon than before. I'm sure all the body glide I put on my toes before helped moisturize them the whole time, too.

The next couple Half Marathon's I've been thinking of are The SoJo Half Marathon in September and Provo's Halloween Half in October. I know I'm prego and I'll be around 4-5 months by then, but I figure if I just keep on keeping on and if I don't push myself hard I'll be fine. I'll walk if I have to walk and I'll run if I feel like I can run. My biggest fear is that I'll get back into the mindset I had with all the other pregnancies and just eat whatever I want, not exercise a lot and get back into the 220's by the time I deliver. My goal this time is to stay under 200 and keep running a race every month. Right now I'm around 173, so I've gotta be careful. I think it's doable, though.

I need all of your help to keep me on track! Especially all you momma's that have continued to run through your pregnancies. I'm gonna need tips!

12 comments:

Hayley said...

I think you've worked too hard this last year or so to let it go just because of pregnancy (assuming that this one is as smooth as your others were). And even if you take a break for a little while, I didn't find it that hard to get back into things when I did. Sadly, I think I've reached the end of my pregnancy running this go-round. My pelvic muscles have like collapsed or something. :) Oh well. I made it 32 weeks without any real trouble, and I know you can do it!

Unknown said...

Pregnant? Congrats!

I'm a runner that did not run during pregnancy. I hated running then because I did not enjoy keeping my heartrate down. So, I did a lot of walking and cycling instead.

Amy said...

And you have your SIL who is doing it now to help you out! I'm sure you'll have a fantastically healthy pregnancy. Couldn't be more excited for you.

Erica said...

whoaaaa mamaI did not know you are preggo!!! Congrats to you!! Keep on keeping on!

Lynette said...

I was active through all three pregnancies, but the longest I made it running was about 22 weeks. My hips just hurt to much at that point to keep running (slogging). But, I do know some mamas who ran races up to a couple days before they delivered =)

Melissa said...

Congrats on the bun in the oven. I think if you use the blog for accountability, you will be fine.

Congrats on the great looking post-marathon toes!

Emz said...

YAY for you!!

I ran 5-9 miles up until 7 days of delivering. It's the way to go! Bounced right back in no time! YAY!

Anne said...

Didn't know you were pregnant... Congrats! I didn't run when I was pregnant, but I taught figure skating and I was on the ice and skating until the day I delivered. Keep on keeping on and we'll be here to keep you on track when needed :)

Crystal said...

I did provo halloween half this last year- great race. I really enjoyed it. however, my advice for the race is to make sure you aren't fooled by the first 5-6 miles. They are all downhill and I am talking STEEP. Just make sure that if you do it- be prepared so your legs (and knees) can handle it. Other than that- it was totally fun and very very cold. The start was in the 20's. So make sure to wear wicking fabric that will keep you warm and dry. :-) And, don't forget to dress up! It is halloween after all!

Katie said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! I am new to distance running, so I never ran while pregnant before, but plan to if I am so blessed again. I think a half is fine as long as you take it easy and listen to your body.

Unknown said...

GIRL go find ZORBS13 on SparkPeople.com - seriously - she is AWESOME and ran up to the DAY SHE GAVE BIRTH with her first baby. That's right! She ran that morning, and gave birth in the middle of the night. Ran a marathon while prego (Which I SOOOOO didn't know you were 6 weeks! I think she was 3 months...) and other shorter races and a 5K 4 days before B-Day. ;) Anyway - you can totally keep exercising and stay fit during your pregnancy! :D

And our first marathon times are almost identical and very similar things going on. Pain before the half, walking and running a lot a bit after the half, picking it up more toward the end cause dangit I had to finish under 6 hours! Mine was 5:55:xx? Anyway. GO YOU CHICA! :D I feel the same way - I started out too fast and I know I will get a PR on my next one. Plan to train with mroe mileage as well. Unfortunately, I had blisters on each pinky toe and one black pinky toenail that fell off a little while afterward. BWAHAHA.

I'm soooo antsy for my next one.

I hope it's Miami in January and I REALLLLY want to do Chicago in 2011 but we'll have to see...

Anonymous said...

i think you owe yourself a maternity running skirt to keep motivated =)