Saturday, February 9, 2013

Hale Freezes Over 5k

This morning I got up and fed Emmett around 7 and then got everything ready for the race. I had to pick up my Bountiful Basket at 8, so I had to make sure I had everything ready to go. The forecast called for snow and temps in the 20s. I figured I'd bring my Yaktrax with me just incase it's really bad. Though, when I woke up there was only a light dusting of snow and I knew I'd be ok. I got everything all set up and ready and headed down to Orem for the race.

I was one of the first people there. I like being there early, it's a lot less stressful then trying to find a parking spot and such with everyone else. I picked up my packet while the race director was telling all the volunteers that the roads were slick and to tell everyone not to try for a PR. I was glad I brought my Yaktrax, but I was still debating on using them. I went back to the car to keep warm when one of the volunteers came knocking on the window cause I forgot to grab my bib. Well, duh... I totally forgot about the bib. Goes to show you how long it's been since I've ran a race.

It was about 45 minutes til the race started and I thought it'd be a good time to pump. I figured it'd feel better to pump right before the race... Gotta lighten the load. LOL!

It was time for the race to start. We headed down to the start line and I stood off to the side. I always stand off to the side towards the back of the group. I'm too slow to get up where everyone else is. I started out fine. My lower legs started aching while they warmed up, but I kept trudging along. I ran the first 1.6 miles without stopping. I knew there was a BIG hill coming up, so I chose to walk for about a 1/4 mile so I'd have enough energy to get up the hill. Once I came to the hill I started running again. I kept telling myself not to look up the hill. I didn't want to get discouraged. I made it up the hill, snow, ice, and all. I kept running and finished off the race strong. 

My goal was to beat the time I ran it the first time which was 44.49. I ended up running in 42.05. Not too bad considering I'm starting from scratch. 

My next race will be the South Jordan St. Patrick's Day 5k

No comments: