Sunday, April 19, 2015

Salt Lake City Half Marathon

The alarm went off at 4 AM. 

I got dressed, woke up Becca, and we headed downtown to meet up with Sonja and AJ. It was fun talking and walking around downtown so early. We parked about 4 or 5 blocks away, got down to the TRAX and saw Sonja. We were just about to get on the train when we realized we left Sonja's packet down at the car. Ugh! We walked all the way back to the car and got it, but decided to drive up closer to find a parking spot. We found the perfect spot about 2 blocks from the starting line. 

We caught the TRAX and headed up to the start. I've never done a race before that uses corrals and this one was doing it for the first time this year. I kinda liked it!
 Before the race we did a half mile warm up around the track at the U. It was a nice track with a great view. I try to warm up a little before each race and it was really nice to be able to run around this track instead of the roads/sidewalks like I normally do. 

Becca, Sonja, and I before the race. These ladies are the best. I just love running with them. :) 

The race started and Becca and I were in the E corral. We went to the back of the corral, which was nice because we didn't have to deal with a lot of pushing through people. The race started and I felt great. I was averaging a 9:30 pace for the first 6 miles. At mile 4.5 I took a couple chomps and got some water at the aid station. I felt like I needed to take something so I didn't crash. 

Around mile 6.5 I started slowing down. I took a GU at the aid station and got some water. My body was aching all over. It was a feeling I never really felt before. Kind of like every muscle in my body all the way to the top of my head and to the tips of my fingers ached. And it wasn't like a painful ache, but more of a completely drained ache. I slowed my pace and tried to take it easy. Around mile 7.5 there is a nasty half mile hill and I walked it. I knew I'd totally be burned out if I pushed up it instead of walking it. 

Mile 8-10 I tried to get out of my head, I walked 2 or 3 two minute breaks and then kept running. At mile 10 I kept saying to myself, "Forget all the other miles... This is just a 5k. You can do a 5k. It's just a lap around the lake. You can do this..." It really helped to stop thinking about my body aching and to slow down my pace to something comfortable. 

There was a group of drummers around liberty park that were amazing! It made me think of when we lived in Okinawa. That really helped get me moving. Even though my pace was slower those last 3 miles, they were comfortable and I felt pretty strong. 

Becca ran with me for the first 4 miles and then fell behind. She caught back up with me when I was walking at mile 8. We ran together some and around mile 11, she fell back again. I kept going. I wasn't going to let myself walk those last 3.3 miles. 

Can I just say...if you're planning a race, please, please, please measure your race correctly. People running a half and a full marathon do NOT want to run extra. I know it sounds funny cause we're already running, but it's tough mentally. Plus, it throws off our times. 

All in all it was a good race. It was tough, but good. My body ached like crazy when I crossed the line. My lower back ached the most. It's been aching a lot for the past 2 months or so. Maybe it's from picking up my pace and tight hamstrings. Maybe it's from the Hashimoto's. I don't know. I'm hoping it's the tight hamstrings. 

The medal was pretty cool. It even doubles as a belt buckle. :) 

We had a great time! I love it! Next race is Provo Half in May. I'm hoping that since it's a canyon run it'll be a breeze. I'd love to beat this half's time. We'll see if I can do that. :) 

No comments: