Saturday, April 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Point Half Marathon

This morning I got up and headed over to Thanksgiving point to run the Thanksgiving Point Half. I wasn't really sure what to expect since I haven't run this race before. I heard that there were some hills, but I had no idea. It was pouring rain and in the 40s so I knew I needed to stay warm unlike the Saltair Half where I about died because of the cold and rain/snow. I heard from some people that wearing a black trash bag was a great idea when it was cold and rainy. I didn't have time to run to walmart for a poncho, so a trash bag would have to do.

Aren't I pretty. Hahaha!

 This was at the very start. HUGE rain clouds that poured on us the whole time. 

I figured I'd stick with the 2.30 pacer as long as I could since that is what I had been doing for the past few half marathons. I did good sticking with her until about mile 5 when the hills really kicked in. I couldn't keep up, so I went at my own pace. Hill after hill....after hill....after hill..... HOLY HILLS!! There were SO many and they weren't simple little hills. They were steep both down and up and they where TOUGH. I stuck with it, walked when I needed to, and made little goals for myself. I wanted to get to 10 miles as close to 2 hours as I could. I figured if I could do that I'd beat my last half marathon time of 2.48.30.
This was around mile 5 of the race. I thought it was really fitting considering it was POURING rain. 

I made it to 10 miles and then I could hear the finish line. I couldn't see it, but I could hear it! I kept telling myself that I have done 3 miles before, that's nothing. I can totally run the last 3 miles. As I got closer and closer I kept telling myself to just keep going. I turned the corner and could see where everyone was turning into the finish. I ripped off the trash bag and finished the last mile feeling STRONG. I felt like I had a lot of gas still in the tank. 


I finished in 2.41.00. Not bad! It was a tough course and super rainy so, I was proud of my time. 

No comments: